Water poses an immense threat to children. Drownings are the leading cause of unintentional death for children of the ages 1-4. While it is extremely important to never leave a child unattended around a pool, spa, bath tub, or any other body of water, here are some other helpful safety tips to ensure water safety with you children:
- Teach them! Teach your children the basic water safety skills to help them stay afloat.
- Learn! As an adult, it is important that you know how to swim and are able to also teach your children to swim. Even if you spend most of your time at the public pool with lifeguards, it is still extremely important for you to know how to swim as well.
- Entrapment! Keep children away from pool drains, pipes, and other opening to avoid entrapment.
- Call for help! Keep your phone close just in case you need to call someone for help.
- Look in water first! If you can’t find your child, make sure you check the pool or spa before you look anywhere else! Also, be sure you check your neighbor’s pool/spa as well!
- Make sure that all of your friends, family, babysitters, and neighbors know the rules and safety instructions for your children.