April 24th, 2014 by Jacqui Blanton

Electricity & Pools Don't Mix

Everyone knows electricity and water do not mix. However, pool lights can be a fun addition when installed correctly.

Tragically, a 7 year-old boy, Calder Sloan, died from electrocution because of a pool light.

On Sunday April 13, 2014, Calder passed away in his family pool after jumping in to race a friend.

That day, a nanny was watching Calder and his friend. Calder challenged his friend to a race, but the friend jumped out after feeling a tingle. Calder kept swimming towards the pool light and went unconscious.

The nanny’s son pulled him out of the water and a neighbor started to perform CPR. The neighbor, Fabian Pesantes, stated he was getting zapped as he performed CPR.

The medical examiner declared electricity from the pool light was to blame for Calder’s death.

When an electrical contractor inspected the equipment, he determined that one of the ground wires that connected the pool switch to the transformer wasn’t attached. Which means 120 volts of electricity were being sent to the pool light instead of the regular 12.

It also appears that the steel encasing the light was corroded. Causing the pool to be full of electricity just waiting for an outlet. Tragically Calder was the one who suffered.

His family hopes to use the experience to raise awareness of such an important issue. They also opened a memorial fund where Calder attended school.

Our thoughts go out to Calder’s family. And I would like to encourage anyone with a pool, or even a hot tub, to make sure their pool is safe. No one needs to lose their life because such a simple issue wasn’t addressed.┬áPlease do everything you can to keep your family safe.

On a happier note, check out PoguePoolSpa.com for more industry news.